The bathroom is one of the most important rooms in the home, responsible for serving a number of critical functions throughout the day and night. Not only is it where we wash up and get clean, but it’s also a place where you can go to melt away stress with a relaxing shower or bath, and a space that contains everything you need to get ready for the day. The importance of the bathroom can’t be overstated, which is why it's one of the most popular home improvement projects performed in the country every year.
deteriorating bathroom is also usually a low functioning one, and it’s easy to
tell when it’s time to renovate. The good news is that bathroom renovations can
be easy and affordable, especially when hiring trusted bathroom remodeling specialists like Bath Planet of Detroit to do the job.
In this article, we’ll share some of the top reasons to remodel your bathroom for homeowners that are wondering whether it’s time for an upgrade.
Reasons to Remodel
If you’re not satisfied with your bathroom in any way, you might benefit
from a minor or a major remodel. There are many types of remodeling projects to
consider depending on your needs and preferences.
However, before you start looking at new bathtubs or showers or scheduling an installation, take a look at the most common reasons why most homeowners seek out Detroit bathroom remodeling services. Knowing what you should focus on in a renovation will help you to determine which services will most benefit your home.
- Deteriorating Features: It can be easy to ignore bathroom issues that you see on a daily basis. Over time, worn-down fixtures, cracks in the upper walls, or a mismatched color scheme might not be so apparent as it would if you saw these issues in someone else’s bathroom for the first time. Inspect your bathroom as though you were seeing it through the eyes of an acquaintance. Sometimes it can also help to take pictures of your bathroom and look at it through the perspective of the camera lens. If it’s not a pretty picture, then it’s probably time for a remodel.
- Outdated Colors and Designs: Shamrock green tile may have been trending in the 70s, but it hasn’t been a thing since. If your bathroom colors are old and outdated, or you’re cringing every time you look at the shag carpeting in the wet area or other similarly outdated features, it’s definitely time for an upgrade. This time, you may want to avoid trends and stick to timeless colors and classic designs that never get old.
- Smelly Bathrooms: Old, deteriorating bathrooms can start to smell bad due to humidity, moisture, mold and mildew, and even plumbing issues. If this is your bathroom, it’s the perfect time to consider bath conversions or a new ventilation system to freshen things up.
- Clumsy Layout: If your bathroom layout is awkward, a bathroom reconfiguration could make a huge difference in how you enjoy the space. Meet with a bathroom contractor to discuss your options. While changing the layout can sometimes mean a complete bathroom overhaul, your contractor might be able to offer less involved and more affordable remodeling options—like a tub-to-shower conversion or perhaps a relocation of the toilet. Before making any moves, consider plumbing concerns and work with a qualified contractor.
- Everything Leaks: When water stains appear on bathroom walls, or on the ceilings or floors underneath or adjacent to the bathroom, it’s time for a remodel. Homeowners facing this problem can benefit from installing all-new fixtures that not only reflect your style, but may even help conserve water thanks to improvements in bathroom design.
- Poor Lighting: This can either be light so dim you can’t see or so bright you can’t relax. Either way, if this is your bathroom, then it’s time to make an adjustment. Consider new light fixtures along with a dimmer switch so you can set the mood every time.
- Storage Problems: Most don’t think about this, but the truth is that proper storage is the key to having a bathroom that meets all of your functional needs. If you lack storage, then consider installing a larger vanity, new shelves over the toiler, or even go a step further and create additional space for a new closet. With a contractor, the possibilities are many.
At this point, you might have a better idea of what and how you want to remodel. Now, you need to decide how to proceed—either with a DIY project to complete the upgrade or by hiring a contractor to do the job for you.
For small projects such as changing the fixtures or repainting the bathroom walls, it’s perfectly fine to handle things on your own if you’re up for the challenge. However, any remodeling project that focuses on changing the walls, electricity, plumbing, or overall layout of the bathroom, a qualified contractor is your best option. Not only will a professional have the tools, training, and experience necessary for addressing the issues that come up, but they will also know how to complete the project so that it's safe, beautiful, durable, and up to code.
Bath Conversions with Bath Planet of Detroit
At Bath Planet of Detroit, our team of bath remodeling contractors is committed to providing affordable, high-quality bathroom remodeling services throughout the Detroit area for our customers. With exceptional products and outstanding installation services, we make the process of remodeling the home easy.
If you’re ready to begin your Detroit bathroom remodeling project, we’d love to speak with you. For more information, give our team a call today or fill out our online form to request a free, in-home pricing estimate and consultation.
Subscribe to Bath Planet Experts's Blog